We are looking for a specialist in educational policy!
The Student Union of the University of Helsinki (HYY) is a corporation subject to public law, with 26,000 university students as members. The Student Union acts as an advocacy and service organisation for its members and for the organisations operating under it.
We are looking for a specialist in educational policy to join our ranks starting on 7 December or as agreed.
Do you dream of a career where you can directly influence both Finnish educational policy and student life? Would you like to work with themes including the future of higher education policy, the development of teaching at the University and the internationalisation of higher education? Is advocacy work and communicating about it your thing, and do the processes of university teaching and promoting the internationalisation of students inspire you? If so, we want you to join our relaxed and skilled work community!
In your job, you will be responsible for the Student Union’s advocacy work concerning educational policy as well as discerning related trends, working together with our other specialist in educational policy and the members of our Board in charge of the theme. As our specialist, you will be regularly taking part in the operation of the University’s various administrative bodies and ensuring that student perspectives are heard as part of the internationalisation trend in universities. You will also be in charge of preparing issues related to your own field, such as current issues, statements and background documents, and presenting them to HYY’s Board. Communicating about issues related to educational policy both within the office and externally, by meeting interest groups and participating in discussion on social media, for instance, is also a crucial part of your work.
- A student union with around 26,000 members
- An efficient, active and passionate actor in advocacy work
- An enthusiastic work community, consisting of 8 specialists and 12 members of the board among others, that gets things done together in a competent yet relaxed fashion
We expect you to have:
- Basic knowledge of higher education policy and its current trends
- Interest in issues related to working life and internationalisation
- Communication skills and the desire to develop as an impactful communicator
- Understanding of societal advocacy work
- Precision in your work and the ability to manage large issues
- The desire to improve as an expert in higher education policy
- An independent approach as well as teamwork and problem-solving skills
- Familiarity with the University of Helsinki
- Higher education studies
- An excellent command of Finnish and fluent command of English
- A good command of Swedish is considered an additional advantage.
You will get:
- An interesting, independent and challenging job
- A salary that is in accordance with the student unions’ collective agreement with potential bonuses for education and experience*
- Opportunities for education and development
- Flexible working hours and opportunities for remote work
- Awesome colleagues
The application period ends at 11.59 pm on Thursday 7 November. Send us your free-form application letter with a maximum length of one page, with your CV attached. Send the application to firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘Asiantuntija’ as the subject. All applications will be acknowledged as received. For further information, please contact Secretary General Mikko Kymäläinen (0400 816 426), email@example.com.
Interviews are held on Tuesday 16 November, and invitations to the interviews are sent on Wednesday 10 November. Those invited to the interviews will be required to complete a pre-assignment. HYY’s Board selects the new specialist in educational policy in its meeting on 18 November.
HYY emphasises diversity and equality in our activities. We hope to receive as many applications as possible from people with diverse backgrounds. In the first stage of the application process, we use anonymous recruitment.
*The basic salary of HYY’s specialists is 2,351.24 euros per month (salary group III in the student unions’ collective agreement). The salary is also affected by previously acquired experience and education. For instance, a person with a bachelor’s degree and no previous experience that is considered as an advantage could have a salary of 2,410 euros per month. The secretary general is happy to provide further information on the salary of the position.