HYY is looking for a specialist in social policy
The Student Union of the University of Helsinki (HYY) is a corporation subject to public law, with 27,000 university students as members. The Student Union acts as an advocacy and service organisation for its members and the organisations operating under HYY.
HYY is now looking for a new specialist in social policy to join our ranks on a permanent contract starting on 12 August 2022 or as agreed.
Student housing, student wellbeing, urban advocacy work – could you see yourself working on these themes in the future? With our current specialist in social policy moving on to new duties, we are looking for a specialist in charge of urban advocacy work, student housing and student health affairs to join our ranks. In addition to these duties, the specialist will also be responsible for HYY’s preparations for the parliamentary elections.
In your work, you will be partly responsible for HYY’s advocacy work related to social policy. Your duties will include the preparation of statements and comments for the Student Union’s Board, cooperation with important interest groups, HOAS and the FSHS in particular, representing the Student Union in various administrative bodies and communicating about the issues you are in charge of both within the office and externally. The other specialists in the Student Union will act as your close colleagues.
- A student union with around 27,000 members
- An efficient, active and passionate actor in advocacy work
- An enthusiastic work community, consisting of 9 specialists and 12 members of the Board among others, that gets things done together in a competent yet relaxed fashion
We expect you to have:
- Understanding of political decision-making processes in Finland and Helsinki
- Experience of societal advocacy work
- Understanding of everyday student life
- The ability to work actively with interest groups
- An independent approach as well as teamwork and problem-solving skills
- Precision in your work and the ability to manage large issues
- Higher education studies
- An excellent command of Finnish
In addition to the above, we consider a good command of English and Swedish as particular advantages.
You will get:
- An interesting, independent and challenging job
- A salary that is in accordance with the student unions’ collective agreement with potential bonuses for education and experience*
- Opportunities for education and development
- Flexible working hours and opportunities for remote work
- Awesome colleagues
The application period ends at 12.00 noon on Thursday 9 June. Send us your free-form application letter with a maximum length of one page, with your CV attached. Send the application to firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘Asiantuntija’ as the subject. All applications will be acknowledged as received.
Interviews will be held on Tuesday 14 June. Applicants invited to the interviews will be informed of this on Friday 10 June. Those invited for an interview will be asked to complete a pre-assignment. HYY’s Board will select the new specialist in social policy in its meeting on 16 June.
HYY emphasises diversity and equality in our activities. We hope to receive as many applications as possible from people with diverse backgrounds. We use anonymous recruitment in the first stage of the application process.
0400 816 426
*The basic salary of HYY’s specialists is 2,398.50 euros per month (salary group III in the student unions’ collective agreement). The salary is also affected by previously acquired experience and education. For instance, a person with a bachelor’s degree and no previous experience that is considered an advantage could have a salary of 2,458.50 euros per month. The secretary general is happy to provide further information on the salary of the position.