Apply to become a student member of the Board of the University of Helsinki!
WHAT IS IT ABOUT?
The Student Union of the University of Helsinki is looking for two student representatives for the highest decision-making body of the University, the University Board. The Board is responsible for the strategic management of the University and makes decisions on significant issues that concern the entire University (see below in more detail). As a member of the Board, you will get to influence the University’s major policies, gain experience of serving on the Board of the largest University in Finland and form useful networks.
The Board of the University meets at least once a month. In addition to the actual meetings, the Board may also have unofficial planning meetings. There are also some groups with special duties operating under the Board, with student representatives also taking part in these. The position further includes various events for interest groups and participation in events for the University management. The position does not require members to work full time, but it does require strong commitment and readiness to use one’s time for the meetings and for reading the materials.
According to the Universities Act, the administrative language of the University of Helsinki is Finnish, and the Board thus operates in Finnish.
WHAT ARE THE REQUIREMENTS FOR THE POSITION?
The term of the student members of the Board is two years, from 1 January 2024 to 31 December 2025. To be eligible for selection, the applicant must:
- Be entitled to complete a bachelor’s degree, master’s degree, licentiate or doctoral degree, or specialist degree in medicine, dentistry or veterinary medicine, or the studies of special education or early childhood education teacher at the University of Helsinki
- Be registered for attendance at the University of Helsinki
- Not be in an employment relationship that is considered full time under the University’s Electoral Regulations with the University of Helsinki. More detailed stipulations on eligibility can be found in the University’s Electoral Regulations, Section 9, and the Student Union’s Regulation on the Selection of Student Representatives, Section 4.
In our selection, we have the following requirements for applicants:
- Broad vision for developing the University and for higher education policy
- Familiarity with university administration and finances
- Understanding of themes related to studying at the University of Helsinki as well as of taking students’ views into account while working on the Board
- Motivation and readiness to commit to the work on the Board
We consider the following as advantages:
- Experience of serving in university administration
- Good interaction skills
- Argumentation skills
- The ability to understand complex issues
HOW DO I APPLY FOR THE POSITION?
CVs and well-justified Finnish-language applications with a length of around one A4 sheet should be addressed to the Representative Council of the Student Union and delivered to the Student Union’s Central Office (at Mannerheimintie 5 B, 2nd floor, 00100 HELSINKI) or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org by 11.59 pm on 26 March 2023. We will not be able to consider late applications in the selection process. Please write ‘Yliopiston hallituksen opiskelijaedustaja’ as the subject of your email.
The Central Selection Committee decides on applicants invited to an interview in early April, and applicants will be informed of who are invited for interviews by 5 April. The interviews are held on 12 and 13 April, starting at 5 pm. Those invited for interviews will be informed of the date on which their interview will be held.
The Representative Council of the Student Union will tentatively select two student members for the Board of the University in its meeting on 30 May. The Student Union hopes to receive applications from representatives of different genders and people in different stages of their studies from diverse backgrounds.
For further information on the position and the selection process, please contact Specialist Marianna Suokas (050 325 5202, email@example.com) until 17 March or, from 18 March onwards, the Student Union’s secretary general, Mikko Kymäläinen (040 081 6426, firstname.lastname@example.org).
According to the Universities Act, the Board of the University must promote the interests of the university with care. The duties of the Board of the University of Helsinki include the following:
- Determining the main objectives of the University’s operations and finances, the strategy and the steering principles
- Deciding on the operating and financial plans and the budget of the University and preparing a financial statement
- Being accountable for the management and use of the assets of the University, unless the Board has devolved the power to the rector
- Arranging the supervision of the accounting and asset management
- Approving agreements of major importance or fundamental consequence for the University and issuing opinions on important matters of principle concerning the University
- Approving the target agreement with the Ministry of Education and Culture on behalf of the University
- Electing the rector or rectors and deciding on the division of work among them and dismissing the rector from their office if there is a legitimate and justified reason for it in consideration of the nature of the office
- Approving the University’s rules of procedure and other corresponding rules pertaining to general organisation and deciding on the operational structure of the University
- Submitting a proposal to the Ministry of Education and Culture concerning any change in the educational responsibilities of the University
- Deciding on the number of students to be admitted to the University