Apply to Become HYY’s Candidate for SYL’s Board for 2024!
what is the national union of university students in finland?
The National Union of University Students in Finland (SYL) is a student organisation that represents around 132,000 basic degree and postgraduate students.
SYL looks after students’ interests in matters concerning students at both national and EU level. The main areas of its advocacy work are educational policy, social policy and international affairs. In addition to this, the union handles matters related to student cards and student discounts through ownership steering as well as provides guidance and training for its member organisations.
how do i become HYY’s candidate?
HYY will decide on the potential nomination of candidates for SYL’s Board in the Representative Council’s meeting on 12 September 2023.
A proposal on the nomination will be prepared by a working group established by the Board and consisting of representatives of the Representative Council groups. The working group is requesting all interested individuals to send a free-form motivation letter (including a CV) with a maximum length of two pages to email@example.com by 11.59 pm on 10 August.
The working group will interview those interested in becoming a candidate on 23 (and possibly 21) August during the evening. The preparation process will adhere to the steering memorandum on national unions approved by the Representative Council. The memorandum also features guidelines on the method of selecting HYY’s candidates for SYL’s Board. The working group may select the number of candidates it proposes in a manner of its own choosing in order to maximise the likelihood of getting HYY’s candidates selected in the general assembly.
Our requirements are as follows:
- The applicant must be a current or former member of HYY.
- The applicant must have motivation to conduct societal advocacy work and action.
The following are considered as advantages:
- We consider familiarity with the union’s field of operation and the student movement as well as experience with the Student Union as advantages.
- We appreciate the ability to cooperate with diverse people and parties as well as societal networks.
- We consider advocacy work experience and an understanding of politics as advantages.
- We hope that you will express any wishes you may have about your role on the Board of the union as well as your views on the union’s operation and its development.
- We appreciate language skills.
HYY emphasises diversity and equality in our activities. We hope to receive as many applications as possible from people with diverse backgrounds.
HYY’s chair and chair of the working group